Sunday 1 January 2012

Environment: Alvin Langdon Coburn

Alvin Langdon Coburn


I found these images below of Alvin Langdon Coburns work all taken in London. I managed to find tree images of the exact same places that I am going to Photograph for my final collection of images. All three images were taken between 1909 and 1910 which which is long before the war time images that I am going to pastiche as they are from the late 30's/ early 40's. 
It has been said that his romantic cityscapes of London were inspired but the paintings of James McNeill Whistler as shown below. Coburn used a soft focus lens in his early work which helped recreate this soft misted effect that can be seen in Whistlers work. This could be something to keep in mind when choosing my own lens depending on how accurately I wish to follow the three images I am going to pastiche and what lens I think that they may have used for their images. However I could approach it in a different way by having the images were sharp and detailed to show the buildings as it they are in their modern and developed state. 



James McNeill Whistler

Print Image
London Bridge, 1909


Print Image
St Paul's, from the corner, 1909


The Tower Bridge, London, 1910

No comments:

Post a Comment