Wednesday 8 February 2012

Iconic Fashion Image

Task One 


I have chosen Corrine Day's image of Kate Moss to deconstruct as my iconic fashion image. 'The daisy age' series of photos were featured in 'The Face' magazine and launched Moss's career. The image above was chosen for the front cover of the third summer of love edition in 1990. I chose this image of Kate Moss because although there are many iconic images of her, these were among the first and Day's style stood out from other fashion photography at the time. 
In general she found fashion photography 'superficial' resulting in her work looking more documentary of British youth culture at the time. This style can be see by Moss's lack of make up, props or high end fashion worn in the shoot. By having the model with a wide toothed smile and scrunched up face is very unusual for a fashion image but really represents Days fresh approach to fashion photography. The expression along side the lack of make up or clothes really strip down the model to create a natural and innocent look. The feather head dress relates back to nature but also comes across as playful as if it could be fancy dress. Day has managed to capture a natural beauty and playfulness of the model which is suitable for the time it was taken as Moss was only 16. 
The pair lived together se were very close. I fell that this relationship can be seen when looking at this image and the rest of the series as there is an intimacy. By this I am referring to the fact that the camera has been positioned at eye level with the model and is also up close to the face. The model also has eye contact with the photographer making it instantly more intimate. 

Task Two


I have chosen this image from my street casting. In camden I was expecting to find more unusual dress sense but found that this guys style caught my eye. His stance and jeans put across his character to be casual and relaxed. This combined with the shirt, pullover and thick rim glasses also show a conscious descision to make himself appear smart and well dressed. The elements of the outfit that I found the most interesting were the the fur collar and military boots. Although they are subtle features of the outfit, they gave me the impression that the model followed and was interested in current fashion. This was confirmed after the told me that he was a fashion student. I chose him as he stood with confidence and combined current fashion, smart and casual wear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment