Wednesday 30 November 2011

Body: Practise shoot

Practise shoot

We were given the task of photographing our partner in the studio. We had to show 4 emotions within the photos which were vunrabile, intimate, aloof and powerful. This was to help us experiment with lighting and give us more experience with directing. Below i have uploaded some of the photographs from the shoot.


This image was meant to represent intimacy. as a group we really struggled with this emotion, not just modelling but directing. I feel that this photograph represents pride and power more that intimacy. Her upright posture and confident expression directed straight at the camera gives this impression. The lighting is too bright and therefore burns out some of the models face. If I were to do this again this would be the main element that I would change.  


This photo was meant to represent vunrability. This is shown by the models expression as she has tilted her head down and and her eyes are also looking down. I decited to have the model facing the light slightly so that the might falls on her face. I felt that this would emphisise how pale her skin was making it look white which could make her look pure and vunrable. I am now thinking that it could have been more appropriate to have had more shaddowing on the face as it would appear more melancholy.

This image had no relevance to the task but after taking the necessary photos I just played with comical and dramaic expresssions to use up the film. I have been told that a portrait is more effective when a serious expression is pulled so I felt that I should challenge this myself. The model that i have chosen for my final portrait shoot is quite excentric and therefore I could photograph him with more dramatic and playful expressions. This may be more suitable to his personality as it may be how he wishes to portray himself to others. After photographing the image above i can see how pulling playful expressions can draw away from the point that you are trying to make with your photograph and may not be appropriate when you are trying to reveal someones personality in more depth.

This is my favourite image out of all of them and most similar to what i hope to achieve in my final image. I think that I will position my model in this way for my final shoot because I find it to be the most intimate. I also want my model to be gazing straight ahead into the camera. By doing the image in black and white it strips down the person and minimises distractions. I am going to do a test shoot using my actual model and try and recreate this effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment