Tuesday 29 November 2011

City: London test shoot

London

St Pauls Cathedral


I chose to mimic this image taken of St Pauls Catedral in London during World War II. I am going to try and take a black and white image from the a position that will be as similar to the one above as possible.


I took some digital shots from various positions to try and find the one that was the most accurate. There is now a brigde that leads to the catedral that was not there during the war. I took this image above whilst standing on the bridge but it was not suitable for a few reasons. Firstly the catedral is too close in comparison to the original image. This is an important factor but also the fact that so much of the actual bridge and the public crossing it is featured in the image is very distracting from the actual cathetral which is meant to be the main focus.



I decided that maybe the image could be taken from the other side of the building. This was not possible due to how many buildings were in the way. I thought that maybe from high up i could get a better image but did not find anywhere higher up that I could photograph from. On street level the building was difficult to even see so I went back to the side that I was originally to try again.


Eventually I realised that I was to cross over the bridge (that i took my first practise shot on) then stood infront of the tate then the view was very similar to that of the original image. This was taken with a film camera and could possibly be used as a final image. I think that there is too much sky in this image though but that could be fixed when I go to print the image. I have to return to London to do my other shots because I had difficulty with the camera on the day so may re shoot this image and compare both attempts.




No comments:

Post a Comment