Saturday 3 December 2011

Lighting Workshop/ references

Lighting workshop

We had a workshop to experiment with different types of lighting so that we were prepared for our portrait shoot the next week. Each group was given a diagram of a lighting set up and had to re create it. The diagram below is the one that was allocated to my group. 

Diagram 1


By using this set up the model was mostly lit from behind as the majority of the lighting is positioned behind the pollyboards in which the model is standing inbetween. This illuminates the model and creates almost a ring of light around then. So the model is lit and not just a silhouette we had a fill light in front of her. This was not a lighting that I wished to use for my final shoot but was still beneficial to experiment with.

 

Diagram 2
 


The second group had to put two polyboards together but at an angle so that there was a slight gap for lighting to shine through. Moving the boards slightly allowed them to be able to control how much light fell upon the model. a fill light was also used but no lighting was behind the model which meant that the background of the image was very dark and all of the light was focused upon the model. 










 Diagram 3



The third group were creating an image that I felt created lighting that was most similar to what I had envisioned for my portrait. Two polyboards were set up in the same way that my group had done when following the first diagram. Two lights were also positioned behind the polyboards on either side to light the background. A lantern was used and help up above and infront of the model. This made an image that was bright all over and to change the amount of shadowing onto he face they held a polyboard beneath the model and angled it towards him.










Lighting reference

Our next task was to go and find a lighting reference. I found a Halsman book called 'Halsman portraits'. I chose this book because he has photographed some very famous and glamorous people and I am hoping to create some sort of beauty/ dramatic shot.

 

Firstly I looked at this image of Elizabeth Taylor. The lighting is very flatering on the model but i was most interested in the lighitng on the background. The graduated lighting ranging from bright in the left top corner to dark almost jet black in the bottom corner draws the eye to Taylors face. I was unsure if this was exactly the lighting that I wanted to use but knew it was something similar. 


In this image of Lucille Ball the lighting is very bright and creates miminal shadow. The background is completely black which contrast heavily with the paleness of her skin. The lighting is very dramatic which is suited to the expression of the model. I think that this may not be as suited to my shoot as the severe lighting takes the beauty element away from the image.



This if the final image that I chose as my lighting reference. It caught my eye when I was flicking through the book as I felt the lighting made Ricki Soma look completely beautiful. There is also quite dark shadowing on the left side of the face which cant be seen as well in this copy of the image due to the quality, however the dark shadowing contrast quite dramatically with the bright lighting on her face and I wish to create a slightly dramatic feel but still with a beauty element so this would be perfect.  





No comments:

Post a Comment