Tuesday 27 December 2011

Portrait final shoots

Final shoots


For my final shoot I was unsure if my model Tom would be able to come in so I planned for another model to come in aswell. Although I have focused my project on tom and his interests I felt that I could use all of the research that I based on him as inpiration even if it was on another model. Tom managed to come in for the shoot in the end so I did two final shoots, one with each model.

Contact sheet: Tom


I was unable to do a test film due to the cash machiene being broken and having a limited time with my model. This meant that I only managed to do one film and was unsure s to how exactly it would come out. I tried different poses with the model to try and capture both natural and posed images.

Neg scans:












I chose these two images but could quite clearly see from the neg scans that I had badly over exposed the light on the face and the hair was nearly all burnt out. I still wanted to use the image on the left as a potential final image but would have to see if I could fix my lighting mistake while printing.

Prints:


 
 This is the images that I was hoping to use as I feel that the pose is strong and flattering for the model. I managed to get the background how I wanted it and the pattern in the outfit well when I increased the contrast. I got some detail back in the hair and face but it is still far too bright and unable to be used for a final print. My other issue with this picture is that the right eye is slightly out of focus which is the one that is most visable.

 I chose this image next because the focus was better and less of the hair was burnt out but stll couldnt get it to a standard that was good enough. I also did notfind this pose as flattering as the last one so would not have been happy to submit it as a final image.
 I started doing prints for this image as the lighting and pose are quite dramatic but found that the image would need to be darkened but with the dark lighting on the eyes they would becaome far too dark. This made this image also unable to be used.


Shoot 2


Here is the contact sheet from my second shoot with my other model Brendan. I chose him as I was trying to achieve a beauty shot and felt that his features would be perfect for it. After making mistakes with lighting in my other shoot I managed to achieve better lighting in this shoot and did not over expose the models face to the light. Many of the shots were of the model looking towards the light as  I felt this was the most flattering use of shadows on the face but also tried a few shots from other angles.

Neg scans:



Here are four of the negatives that i have scanned in. I was unsure as to which pose to use so I scanned in four that are all at different angles. I like the facial expression and overall composition in the image on the left but there is very minimal shaddowing on the face which I require for my final image. We did one face on shot as shown on the right but the same as in my test shoot I felt that it was not put across an element of beauty.


The image on the right is facing away from the light and as much as I find the expression on the models face interesting I am not sure if it would be suitable for my final image as it doesnt portray any of the factors that I had taken from my research. I think that I shall choose an image looking towards the light because of the dramatic shaddowing on the face.I may however not use this image specifically.



Prints:


 

I decided to priint a few of the images as I was unsure as to which one I should use as a final image and wanted a selection to choose from.

Final Print

I chose this as my final image. I did intend on using an image of Tom as my final print however none of the photos were to a good enough standard. Brendans photoshoot was just as relevant to my research and was mainly inspired by the images that I found of Boy George and Halsmans photo of  Ricki Soma.

No comments:

Post a Comment