Monday 19 December 2011

Portrait: test shoot

Test shoot

I did a test shoot using the lighting that I intend to use for my final shoot next week. I used a middle aged man and put lipstick on him and filled in his eyebrows with eyeliner to make his features more prominent. I was not 100% sure If I was looking to create a subtle but femine look within my shoot inspired but the images I found of boy george or a more theatrical approach inspired by Andy Warhol's styling. In this shoot I felt the make up, although not alot of it, was more theatrical and this works well with this model becasue he is so blatently masculine but has made me realise that for my final model a more subtle make up selection would be better suited to his face.

Digital shot:


I much prefered this image in colour becasue the red is the only bold colour within the image drawing the main focus to the lips.

Contact sheet:



I did not move the lighting throughout this shoot as I knew exactly how I wanted it it was just a matter of experimenting with how the face should be angled towrds the light to create a more effective beauty shot. With a face on shot the idea of beauty is lost as half of the face becomes completely black. Many of the images above are similar but I have found that having the model direct their face towards the light but without being a profile shot allows the light to fall on the face in a flattering wy but still create a dark shaddow one side of the face.


Final images:








I do like these images especially the one in the centre as the subtle smile really shows the character of the model however I think that in my final shoot I will have to watch out for making the shaddowed area too dark. Also the face may also be overexposed to the light which will burn the detail out. The lighting on the background is just what I was aiming for though so will have t try and achieve this again the maybe reposition the model and the lighting slightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment